Roast Chicken & Vegetable Soup
My third skinny soup for January is another adaptation from Central Market. It’s their Roast Chicken & Vegetable Soup, with the fat and calories removed. Thanks to Chef Sarah Hooton at the Central Market Cooking School for making these recipes taste amazing!
Roast Chicken & Vegetable Chowder
Adapted from Central Market’s 20th Anniversary Cookbook – pg. 14. Serves approx. 6-8 people
2 oz. Canadian bacon, diced ¼” (the healthier choice than regular bacon)
1T canola oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
1 lb. large red potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lb. Butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and diced
7C low sodium chicken stock
1 medium zucchini, diced
2C Swiss chard, de-ribbed and chopped
2C roast chicken, diced (time saver: buy pre-cooked whole chicken)
1T minced fresh sage
1T minced fresh thyme
½ C fat free half and half (the healthier choice than heavy cream)
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large, heavy-bottom pot, cook the Canadian bacon over medium heat, stirring frequently, until slightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.
- Add canola oil to the pot and add onions, celery. Sauté until soft but not brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, squash and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Partially cover the pot and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini and Swiss chard, chicken, sage, thyme and Canadian bacon and fat free half & half.
- Cook 5 to 10 minutes more until the zucchini and Swiss chard are tender.
- Season with Salt & Pepper.